Date:          Mon, 22 Jul 1996 13:15:30 +0000
From:          Lorenzo Pe~na <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:       Requested Help to Prevent Atrocities in Madrid
To:            [log in to unmask] (return)

--=_3miTcpql(

Dear everybody,
      I ask you to print four copies of the enclosed message, to sign them
and to send them by express letter or, preferably, by Fax to the addresses
listed below.
      Please, spread the word and circulate this message as broadly as you
can -- being careful to avoid any bouncing loop -- in order for as many
people as possible to send letters or Faxed messages to the Spanish
authorities.
      With my anticipated heartfelt appreciation for your help in preventing
such atrocious cruelties, I remain yours very truly

Lorenzo Pe\~na, Editor of SORITES

Attachments: (1) the above-mentioned four addresses; (2) the text of the
protest letter.
(1) THE 4 ADDRESSES:

1st address:

Mr. Jose M. Alvarez del Manzano
Lord Mayor of Madrid City
Plaza de la Villa 1
Madrid, Spain
****
Fax #: +341) 588 26 62
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2d. address:

Mr. Francisco Herrera
Spokesman of the `United Left' Coalition at Madrid City Council
Plaza de la Villa 1
Madrid, Spain
****
Fax #: +341) 588 16 57
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3d address:

Mr. Alberto Ruiz Gallardon
Chairman of the Madrid Regional Government
calle Miguel Angel 28
28010 Madrid, Spain
****
Fax #: +341) 310 37 57
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
4th address:

Mr. Pedro J. Ramirez
Editor of EL MUNDO
Calle Pradillo, 42
28002 Madrid, Spain
****
Fax #: +341) 586 48 48
Madrid, Spain
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(2) TEXT OF THE PROTEST LETTER:

Sir,
      I have been shocked and upset upon learning that a special bullfight is
being scheduled to be staged in Madrid Main Square (Plaza Mayor) in September
or October 1996, after the style of the 18th century. For the streets of
Madrid to be stained with blood and for animals who have done nothing wrong
to be undeservedly subject to torture and a cruel, protracted, and extremely
painful death as a way of sadistic merry-making is so appalling that it can
only be regarded with dismay and disgust.
      I know bullfights do unfortunately take place regularly in special
arenas in Spain; but at least they are separated from the streets and
squares. Reviving the brutal, loathsome practices of the dark ages of
absolute monarchy is going to do a regrettable disservice to Spain. A
bloodthirsty, backward crowd rejoicing at cattle being mercilessly tortured
to death at the very square which constitutes the core of Madrid sightseeing
would make people all over the planet shudder. Lots of influential persons
would then advocate and actively support a trade and travel boycott of Madrid
city and region. Tax-payers all over the European Union and humane
poeple (including potential tourists) all over the world would resent any
money being granted to Spain in general and to the Madrid region in
particular for any project whatsoever.
      Nor can any such sadistic amusement be excused or justified on account
of its purportedly representing a typical Spanish tradition. Should cruel
traditions be continued, then many other bloody festivals would still be with
us, such as gladiator-wrestling, tilts, cock-fights, public floggings and
beheadings, convicts being tarred-and-feathered at the gibbet, or the
punishment of hanging, drawing and quartering, or the burning of sorcerers or
heretics.
      It is also unwarranted to claim that humans are bound by no obligation
toward other mammals or that members of the bovine species do not suffer.
Even in ancient times, enlightened philosophers were aware that other mammals
are far too similar to humans not to deserve a merciful treatment. The
scientific theory of evolution has proved that all mammals are very close
relatives. And, of course, non-human animals are endowed with the capacity of
perceiving and suffering. To inflict pain on them just for fun cannot be
morally countenanced on any reasonable grounds.
      Hence, as a human scientist, and as a human being, I
respectfully demand: that plans for such an extraordinary bullfight (the so-
called `corrida goyesca') should be given up; that any similar bloody
jamboree in Madrid streets or squares should be banned; and that no public
funds should be made available for any such savage, ferocious show.
      Yours faithfully

--=_3miTcpql(

Prof. Lorenzo Pe\~na - Editor of SORITES
CSIC - Institute of Philosophy
Pinar 25, E - 28006 Madrid, Spain
<ftp://ftp.csic.es/pub/sorites/EdCab/LP/Profile.html>
Fax & Voice Tph (h): +341)8030948. Fax (w):+341)5645252
Tel (w): +341)4117060 /18. Altern.Tel (w): +341)4111098
--=_3miTcpql(--