If Mike Woods information is correct that the RGS-IBG have indeed decided to
reject/ignore the Strathclyde motion and to retain Shell as a sponsor, this is
depressing news. I think it would be unfortunate if the issue were now allowed
to quitely wither away. I think that this requires either a consistent lobbying
campaign or a request for the issue to be put to a vote of the whole Society. I
have to say that I suspect that if the latter is done, it would be defeated
given the make-up of the Societies members overall. Alternatively, the 'ethics'
committe which I believe exists or is due to come into being should assess the
whole question of sponsorship. Whatever happens, it would be a grave mistake to
just allow the whole thing to be swept under the carpet and forgotten about...
until the next executions.

Chris Hamnett