CROSS-POSTED to mediev-l and medieval-religion

I'm currently looking for details of sentencing in ecclesiastical courts
which list the penances prescribed. R. Hill in her article in *History*,
n.s. 36 (1951) pointed to the existence of such material in bishop's
registers (using Oliver Sutton of Lincoln as an example). I've tried to
track this further using David M. Smith's Guide to Bishop's Registers of
England and Wales, but from the lists given there I'm finding it hard to
tell which registers actually contain such material, and which sections of
the registers might be useful. (For Sutton, it was the memoranda section).
I assume that such material will only exist for some bishops, depending on
how they saw their duties. I read elsewhere that in some areas, this
business was delegated to archdeacon's courts, and I cannot find any
searching lists which help with this (or any lower eccles. courts if any
have extant records). I don't have access to NIDS. I aim to produce a
data-base concerning practical penances if I can find enough to make this
worthwhile.

Clearly I need to look at the registers, and will do so during my 2nd
semester sabbatical in England. However, I'm currently working in New
Zealand and I'm applying for a research grant, primarily to obtain
microfilm, which must be completed by the end of May.

So If anyone has more detailed knowledge I'd be most grateful. while I've
written above about English material, any ideas about the French equivalent
would also be very helpful.
As well, if anyone knows an email address for David M. Smith (still at
Borthwick Institute?), I could perhaps contact him.

Thanks very much,
Kathy

Kathleen Troup
History Department,