Dear friends,

I am presently working on a paper on how the question of permitting
usurers in a kingdom (etc.) was made a problem in 12th/13th century
France and beyond. I am focussing especially on St Louis and his
Jewry policy, but the question was by no means restricted to the Jews
(it also pertained to 'Lombards'/'Cahorsins [cauwersini]', for
example).

The idea put forward by some (mainly mendicant) rigorists was that
taking taxes from usurers was a way of profiting from their illicit
gains. The concept first arose, I think, in Peter the Chanter's
circle and gained some currency through manuals of confession (e.g.
Thomas of Chobham).

My question is whether any of you have examples of this discourse in
12th-14th century sermons?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Christoph Cluse
FB III Geschichte