I am a lecturer in art history at the University of Sydney, Australia. My
particular research interests have focused primarily on the protective imagery
created in 14th-16th century Italy in response to the repeated experience of
bubonic plague: ie images of Christ, the Virgin and plague saints such as
Sebastian, Roch and the Augustinian Nicholas of Tolentino. This was the
subject of my PhD, "'Waiting on the Will of the Lord': the Imagery of the
Plague", University of Pennsylvania, 1989, and a 1994 article in Renaissance
Quarterly, "Manipulating the Sacred: Image and Plague in Renaissance Italy",
RQ 47 (1994): 485-532. I also have an article on plague images commissioned by
Italian confraternities forthcoming in a collection on confraternities and the
arts to be published by Toronto UP. I would welcome comments, reactions,
criticisms and all form of feedback, and have too many queries to pose all at
once to this list! Eg I would love to hear from anyone working on Nicholas of
Tolentino or other plague saints, or the cult of the Virgin (huge topic I
know...; I'm especially interested in the way in which the Virgin can operate
as an autonomous power, actively opposing and subverting God's--whether Christ
or God the Father--implacably punitive intentions towards a sinful humanity.)

Louise Marshall
Dept of Fine Arts
University of Sydney
NSW 2006