From:          Self <ENGAH/BUGSLAG>
To:            [log in to unmask]
Subject:       (Fwd) Chartres
Date:          Tue, 21 May 1996 11:51:58

Little, if nothing, appears to have been written on the School of
Chartres in the 13th century.  It is mentioned in passing, however, in
Edouard Jeauneau, L'age d'or des ecoles de Chartres, Chartres,
Editions Houvet, 1995, and Colette Manhes-Deremble, Les vitraux
narratifs de la cathedrale de Chartres. Etude iconographique, Paris,
Leopard d'Or, 1993. You might also plough through Jan van der
Meulen, Chartres. Sources and Literary Interpretation: A Critical
Bibliography, Boston, G.K. Hall, 1989, although this focuses more on
the cathedral fabric.   I would be interested if you come across
anything more pertinant.
Jim Bugslag

I am looking for information on the School of Chartres in the thirteenth
century. The
literature I know of (Dronke, Southern, Schipperges) focusses on the
heyday of the
school, the twelfth century. Lexikon des  Mittelalters provides no
information or
literature on the 'Niedergang' of the school. This 'Niedergang' starts
at the end of
the twelfth century when its position as a centre of learning was taken
over by the
university of Paris. Did the school still function after 1200? Was the
program
different from that in the twelfth century? What kind of students were
attracted to
Chartres and why would they chose Chartres over Paris?
Any information concerning this questions would be of help.

Thanks,

Veerle Joanna Fraeters
University of Antwerp (Ufsia)