----------
From: 	[log in to unmask] on behalf of Anne Gilmour-B
Sent: 	21 May 1996 10:11
To: 	[log in to unmask]
Subject: 	re: Measham and Knights Templars

Simon: I am trying to nail down a mention in the trial of the Templars in
Cyprus of an English Templar house, called Mec(with a cedilla)a, which may be
Mosham in Yorkshire, or may not. Can you give me any information about your
place in connection with the Templars?

	Many thanks,

		Anne Gilmour-Bryson, Univ. of Melbourne, Australia

Anne,

The Knights Templers closest known establishment to Measham was at
Wellsborough - about 5 miles to the south west of the village.  This
establishment was between the villages of Twycross and Market Bosworth,
Leicestershire.   Nearer to Measham there is a farm called "Tempe" which might
have some Templer connections - however at this stage I have not been able to
establish if this is the case.  The Templers held land at Seal about 2 miles
to the west of Measham.

The hospitilars had an  establishment at Heather - about 2 miles to the east
of Measham - around 1220 and a much larger establishment at Seal  at the same
time.  The Heather establishment was described as being a very poor relation
to the Hospitilar establishment at Rothley, Leicestershire.

The church at Measham it self was attached to the Augustine Priory at Repton.

Measham is spelt Messeham in the doomsday book.  The next mention of the
village is a in a charter of land in the next village of Snarestone - about 1
mile to the south west -  where a William of Meysham was a witness. A similar
spelling is found in mention to an assize held there circa 1300 AD

I hope this helps - unfortunately it doesn't seem to fit into what you are
searching for - however if you do find some other details then please let me
know.

Thanks

Simon Marchini