For some time I have been wishing that the _Magna Vita Sancti Hugonis_ by
Adam of Eynsham might be republished in English translation alone for
classroom use.  Adam's Life of St. Hugh covers so many aspects of
medieval religious culture that one could teach quite a range of things
from it.  When I contacted Oxford U. Press about this, they asked, as
publishers do, how widespread the interest in this might be, how many
copies would my colleagues use.

Therefore, I would like to ask list members if they could ever imagine
themselves using this as an assigned text and if so, about how many
copies a year they might use.  Replies can be sent directly to me at

and I will save them, tabulate them, and pass
them on in the hope of convincing OUP to give us an inexpensive paperback
edition (or perhaps I could interest the Medieval Academy's Reprints for
Teaching series in negotiating for rights).

I have a similar question about Gerhart Ladner, _The Idea of Reform_
(1959, 1967).  Would anyone out there besides me make use of this if it
were reprinted in the MART series?  I have suggested it in the past but
without any "hard numbers."  I would be eager to have it in print again.

Dennis Martin
Loyola University Chicago