Susan Einbinder, Hebrew Union College, Cincinnati, Ohio
I am interested in comparing the literary (poetic and prose) representations
of Jewish martyrs in Hebrew medieval texts, mainly from northern France
12th-13th centuries, with contemporary Christian representations.  I am also
interested in comparing conventions of representations between genres --
i.e., in the (almost always Hebrew) liturgical verse v. the prose "chronicle"
accounts.  Two conference papers, one currently submitted for publication,
discussed shared motifs in Christian and Jewish hagiography and martyrology,
and the use of romance narrative conventions in the reconfiguration of
Pucelina of Blois (burnt with 32 Jews in 1171 as the result of a blood
libel).  My earlier research was on Hebrew literature of Jews in Arab lands
(particularly, the muwashshah and zajal), so this is a big shift.

05/18/96  06:41:37

Susan Einbinder
Hebrew Union College
3101 Clifton Avenue