Evelyn (in oral tradition, "Timmie") Birge Vitz, French Department (also
Comparative Literature, and Medieval and Renaissance Studies), New York
University, 19 University Place, NY, NY 10003.
I have worked on Saints' Lives, primarily from a narratological approach
and with regard to oral/written issues; on what
one might call the "structurally religious" character of many
non-obviously religious works; on the impact of Lateran IV
on French literature. (Much of my activity has been
decidedly more worldly: I have worked on Villon, extensively on romance,
etc.) I recently completed a piece on "The Liturgy and Vernacular
Literature" for a volume (to be published by TEAMS at Kalamazoo) on "The
Medieval Liturgy" and got so gripped by the topic that I am now
launched on a book. I am also interested in the Book of Hours--and
in particular, in trying to figure out the nature and extent of its impact
on late medieval liturature; all thoughts on this issue are most welcome!