Today, 11 April, is the feast of ...

Leo the Great, Pope and Doctor of the Church (461)

Barsanuphius, Anchorite (550): He lived in a cell adjoining the monastery
at Gaza. He communicated only by writing and was believed neither to eat
nor to drink. The Patriarch of Jerusalem doubted that anyone could lead
such a holy life and had the wall of Barsanuphius' cell destroyed,
whereupon flames burst out and consumed the unfortunate masons.

Isaac of Spoleto, Monk (550): Often repeated the following words to his
followers: "A monk who wants earthly possessions is not a monk at all."

Godeberta, Virgin (700): In the diocese of Noyon the saintly powers of
Godeberta were often invoked against calamities of all sorts, but
especially against drought and epidemics.

Guthlac, Hermit (714): One day, as he was talking with a man called
Wilfrid, two swallows alighted on his shoulders and then perched on his
arms and knees, chattering all the time as though quite at home. In reply
to Wilfrid's exclamations of surprise Guthlac said: "Have you not read
that he who elects to be unknown of men becomes known of wild creatures
and is visited by angels? For he who is frequented by men cannot be
frequented by the holy angels."

Waltman, Abbot (1138): Preached against the heretical teachings of the
wandering preacher Tanchelm.

Rainerius Inclusus, Hermit (1237): Was enclosed for twenty-two years in a
hermit's cell adjoining the cathedral of Osnabruck. Rainerius used every
device he could to mortify his flesh. Next to his skin he wore a shirt of
chain-mail and hair which was concealed by a coarse habit, and he scourged
himself regularly until he bled. When asked why he tortured his body , he
would reply: "As our Lord Jesus Christ suffered in all his limbs for me,
so do I wish out of love for him, to suffer in all my members." Rainerius
at least indulged in a drink every now and then: on Mondays, Wednesdays
and Saturdays he fasted on bread and beer.

Caroly Muessig