> I've been very keen to know from fellow medieval-religionists --
> particularly those in Germany, especially in Trier (hint hint hint, C.C.)
> -- about the Holy Robe of Jesus that is on display in Trier. Does anyone
> know of the history of this relic, and why it is on display at this time?
>
> George Ferzoco

Dear George,

Well, I'm really no expert. But the city is indeed very busy as from
last Friday, the Holy Robe ("Heilig-Rock") is on display at the
cathedral (if anyone wants to see it they can still do so until the
end of May). The exhibition marks the 800th anniversary of its
'discovery' in the cathedral treasury. It has been dated (C14 method)
to the 3rd century or so, which brings it very close to the time of
Helena, mother of Constantine, who is said to have transferred it to
Trier, where she also installed the first bishop. Read all about it
in the Legend of St Agricius, Monumenta Germaniae Historica,
Scriptores in-4 , vol. VIII, p. 211, dating from the 11th Century (I
owe this reference to my friend Gerd Mentgen here).
Apparently they didn't really care too much about it in the following
centuries, as the first public exhibition dates from the early 16th
century. If you ask me, I don't really care neither ...! There's a
big book out this year with lots of footnotes in it, but I've
forgotten the title.

Look up all about it on their web site!
http://www.dioezese-trier.de/hr1996/html/hr96_0.htm

Cheers, Christoph