This from the iltf-news mailing list may prove interesting
to some of you...

There's a discussion going on now about the (C) implications
of cacheing. Should I bundle it up and send it to someone?

Subscription requests SUBSCRIBE ILTF-NEWS Your Name to:
[log in to unmask] (modulo mis-thinks)

--Begin forwarded message--

Hahin writes:
>Are there any efforts underway to develop guidelines for caching
>and mirroring?  I.e., when can service providers assume that it is
>all right to mirror a site or cache frequently requested material?
>Even for freely available material, this could be problematic if the
>content publisher is deprived of knowledge about who is accessing the
>material.  Is anyone trying to address the problem of passing user
>information back to the originating site?

www.ontv.com has a product out there called webfetcher that is
free to download and is employed for local caching and local copying
of entire web sites.  Because of the nature of the product, we
(I am a principal) can
detect routing, caching, gateway filters, etc.  We find that the
real-world
situations out there are much more complicated that most people
suspect.   The internet and in-house networks employ probably hundreds
of variations on routing, caching, etc., schemes that all effectively
select content and store it at various persistence levels.  Even browsers
cache differently in ways that are important to copyright issues.   Many
schemes exist and are in widespread use for hiding identity -- for
example,
Linux machines are routinely employed as gateways that hide identity
or change identity.  Any "truth" on the Internet as to who is doing what
 is only an approximate truth
and that, for architectural reasons, is going to be the case for a long
time.

Our position (at OnTV) is to register the tangible form of our web pages
with
the copyright office and to maintain regular  dated and signatured updates
since our site changes every day.  The concern is not with people caching
stuff -- its with origination rights (who controls origination), public
display,
and plagiarism (theft of creative effort).  One of our engineers says
rightly,
I think, that you also want to prohibit "named storage" -- someone going
in and
intentionally naming a cached page something other than it's dynamic cache
handle in order to make the page persistent beyond the needs of  routine
access-performance enhancement.  So we are like movie makers -- if you
want
to make a personal copy with your "vcr" no problem, really, but if you
try to
make money with our stuff, we get slightly disturbed.

Just some thoughts.  I would love hear lawyer talk on this (it's free,
right?)
Also look at http://www.cbclegal.com/news/dlr196.htm#protect
for a paper I wrote on copyrights based on a month's study last summer --
from a
computer scientist's point of view (I've been [log in to unmask] since 1978).

--END forwarded message--

'Scuse absence of formatting...

Mike Holderness

--BAA26557.829183796/tom.compulink.co.uk--