Further to felix driver's comments on the GM it is worth noting that the GM is
not, as far as I am aware, an official publication of the RGS-IBG. I think it
is franchised out to an independent publishing company who mail it to the RGS-
IBG mailing list, and pay a royalty to the RGS-IBG for the use of the title.
The GM is therefore at arms length from the RGS, and this franchise deal may
explain the fact that the GM has seeminly moved rapidly 'down-market' compared
to the old days when there were a lot of pieces by practicising academic
geographers. It is now written largely by journalists with an interest in the
exotic and in travel. Lisa Sykes view is, I think, that academic geography does
not sell, and GM sales in bookstores etc had been falling. Whether this is the
right strategy is debatable, as is the franchising out arrangment itself. There
is an argument for having the GM back under the RGS-IBG roof. But, nonetheless,
the GM clearly fulfills a valuable popularising function. It may be interesting
to speculate what its role is in helping to encourage applicants to geography
degrees at University. Indirectly, it may be considerable. But, as History
Today, shows it may be possible to do this and have meatier articles.There is a
lot of popular interest in both history and geography which should be fostered.
Chris Hamnett