On Sun, 17 Nov 1996 14:36:06 +0100, Iain H wrote:

>"The trend for consulting patients via the Internet could cause
>a GP to miss indicators to state of mind."
>
>Dr Vivian Nathanson - head of the BMA's ethics panel
>(reported in Pulse)
>
>What trend? Am I missing something? Has a paper been
>published somewhere which reveals the size of this
>hitherto unrecognised problem? Is this technophobia?
>
>I know that Dr Risk has got his cyberdoc thing up and
>running and I have seen posts which indicate he is
>fairly busy. Is anyone else doing this?

Although not quite the same, I notice that BUPA now offer their BUPA
Medicall service under the enticing title

"Ask a doctor - Medical information at the touch of a button"

and even better

"Whenever you want confidential information, at a time to suit you,
the BUPA MediCall service is available to users of the BUPA Internet
site, 24 hours a day, seven days a week"

However the fact is less enticing. Rather than actually tell you the
info via the Net, their site - http://www.bupa.com/medicall/index.html
- gives you an 0839 number (In the UK, calls cost 39p a minute cheap
rate and 49p at all other times) to call to get a message.

They give some examples of what you'd hear if you called for Breast
cancer, Cervical cancer,     Cancer of the testicles, Asthma, Wheezing
and breathlessness and back pain, all of which suggest contacting your
doctor.......

Now where did I put that 39p - I feel a headache coming on....

John Farenden - Secta / Health Web Services
Triton House, Hare Park Lane, Liversedge, West Yorkshire, England, WF15 8HN
Tel 01274 852160, Fax 01274 852159