On Wed, 23 Oct 96 21:19 BST-1, you wrote:

>My impression is that VAMP users are tending to upgrade to other systems,
>rather than Vision - it is certainly the case in Durham, where the number
>of VAMP systems has collapsed. In stark contrast, Meditel has held onto
>its corner, and EMIS has grown pretty strongly.

I'd be careful not to extrapolate nationally from the Durham
experience. I travel the length and breadth of the UK talking to GPs
every week and the pattern changes radically depending where you are.
The one thing that seems consistent is that EMIS is usually seen as
the system of choice in the pre-Windows marketplace. I get the feeling
this will change with the advent of System 6000 and Vision.

> I believe that nationally  EMIS  are larger than VAMP now.

Anecdotally this would seem to be true. Of course, it dependson how
many practices you think GP Microsolutions had prior to acquisition!

> In my opinion, the only two people
>running GP computer companies who I would lay money on are Ewan Davis (MD
>of AAH Meditel) and Tony Jones (MD of EMIS). These two will end up owning
>the pitch, and good luck to them, because they have needed to keep their
>wits about them to get where they have.

I don't know Tony Jones but Ewan is a good bloke who has certainly
used all of his not inconsiderable wits to keep AAH Meditel at the
forefront of the marketplace.

>I think EMIS have been wise in *not* releasing a Windows version that
>no-one can afford. We converted to EMIS several years ago (from VAMP),
>and contrary to  Ahmad's belief, the system is under continual
>development, and a non-topic of discussion in our practice, since it
>works and always has done!

The trouble is (if it is a trouble) that there is a sea change in GP's
feelings about what clinical systems should look like and, for better
or worse, Windows is what they seem to want.
Mike Carey - GP Systems Marketing Manager
Doctors' Independent Network
New Summer 96 Newsletter at:
www.demon.co.uk/DIN/s96index.html