>>If email is sent using the X400 protocol it should be possible view an
>>"audit trail" of when the mail was sent and when it arrived at its
>>destination.
>
>yes,but would that help if it had arrived at the wrong place? Is the
>X400 protocol inherently more dependable than the present method?
>Mary

Theoretically X.400 is more reliable yes.  But then again betamax was
theoretically better than VHS (sorry to trot out my old chestnut
analogy again !).  IMHO it comes down to whether you are willing to
put up with second best (SMTP mail) but accept it's cheap and readily
available and everyone uses it and it works pretty well, or want the
best (X.400) but accept it's expensive with not many products
available.

If SMTP wasn't very good, then gp-uk wouldn't work very well, would
it?

Hoping the message arrives...but without the time to plough through an
audit trail if it doesn't (I'll just send it again)....

Yours cheap and cheerfully

Rob

---
Rob Tweed
IM&T Consulting Ltd; Health Web Services Ltd;
M/Gateway Developments Ltd

http://www.hwsl.co.uk/mgw
Tel: (+44) 181 540 1325
Fax: (+44) 181 715 4337