As you might have seen in previous communications, around 90% of Icelandic
GP’s working in health centres around the country resigned their jobs some
months ago, the resignations taking effect on August 1st. The reasons were
mainly dissatisfaction with the state of primary care in this country and
the need to renew the wage contract which was long overdue.
Yesterday, August 7th, negotations between doctors and the Ministry of
Finance were resumed. A whole week had passed without talks. The reason
given for their discontinuation was a statement made by the Icelandic
Medical Association on July 31st, warning all doctors against accepting
posts of health centre GP’s which became vacant due to the resignations.
This statement was in accordance with the IMA’s laws but was taken by the
Ministry to indicate that the doctor’s action was a strike (and therefore
illegal) whereas we have claimed that the resignations were on an individual
basis.
Little progress was made on this first day, but at least we are talking
together, and not only about formalities as the previous week. The Icelandic
College of Family Physicians agreed to a request made by the Minister of
Health to urge doctors to remain in their districts (not formally on call
but reachable if need be), but made it clear that this would be for the
following 48 hours and only if negotiations continued and nothing unexpected
happened. We plan to possibly hold a national conference at short notice,
perhaps this coming weekend. We will let you know… stay tuned.

	Katrin Fjeldsted,
president of The Icelandic College of Family Physicians

c/o [log in to unmask]