I wanted to start the discussion off because I have been using IBM dictation system since its inception with OS2. At that stage I was amazed at its accuracy but I admit it was fairly buggy. But since I started using 1.32 and lately 3.0 , I have been amazed at the user friendliness of the software.

I use it to dictate all charts in the office and do all letters with it. I use it on a Gateway P90 with 16MG ram and 256L2 cache. I have an ensoniq soundcard present and it works well with the 3.0. I did not have to enroll I did not have to add any new macros as the macros with 1.32 migrated well across to 3.0.

I have been using this for two years. Recently we have thinking we need additional staff because of expansion. Because of Voicetype we are not hiring anymore. Last year we saved $20,000 approx. in transcription costs. On an initial investment of $2500 I think it is pretty good.

I think the New 3.0 software is suitable for anyone especially as the documentation is so easy. I agree the there is a learning curve with it and I overcame it by just using it consistently . It slowed me down initially but now I find my documentation is far more accurate. And most important of all nobody has to decipher my handwriting.

With 3.0, one can dictate directly into MS Word and with templates especially for Insurance, WCB and ICBC reports it is very easy.

I wonder if anyone out there worked on dictation templates for family practice with the new version because I can not get some problems ironed out?

Sachit Shah