I routinely use my mobile phone either by star service diversion from
the surgery phone to it (and shudder at the cost of anyone who wants a
really long talk) or by putting the phone number on the answerphone to
which calls come if I am not immediately avalable to answer them.

No problems so far.

Any Health Authority which thinks the cost of a mobile phone call for
what can surely only be an _emergency_ call is unreasonable expense to
contact a doctor deserves public criticism from the profession as a
whole.

My impression is that although my pateints are sometimes surprised to
hear me answer the phone rather than a tape, they have not objected to
eitehr the mobility or the expense if they have felt it necessary to
call me.

Come to think of it, I don't recall any requests by mobile phone
directly dialled for repeat Calpol prescriptions, so perhaps the
expense is unacceptable for some purposes<g>