Andrew Oakford wrote:

> Dr Adrian Midgley GP Exeter wrote
> >>"To be honest I think I'd just be too embarressed about refering without
> >>first examining the prostate :-)"
> >Is the truth of it, but why are you embarrassed?  Because you are still
> >programmed as a hospital doctor.
>
> Mary Hawking wrote
> >>To be honest I think I'd just be too embarressed about refering without
> >>first examining the prostate :-)
>
> >I can remember filling all the boxes as well... a while back! :-)
>
> Sorry but I don't honestly think that this is purely a "programming" issue
> or one of thoughtlessly "ticking boxes" a la Med Student.
>
> I think this is an issue of PROFESSIONAL PRIDE.
> The six years of working in the "real world" so far
> have failed to rob me of that :-)
>
> Yours with gloved hand :-)
>
> Andrew Oakford
> GP Registrar
> S.Yorkshire

With all this blatant honesty and rationalising of clinical shortcuts,
who will be totally honest and say they do not do PR's on suspected
appendicitis.
It is for me the commonest one I miss out - especially with a textboook
appx.
As far as prostates go, most NZ docs certainly regularly check PR's for
suspected symptoms and on request (It's moderatley fashionable, and why
shouldn't it be. Men's health has (and still is) under-recognised,
under-resourced and and under-promoted (John-Marwick-from-the-Ministry
take note!)
It is very reassuring (even though it logically is of limited
reassurance) for a patient to know he hasn't got a craggy, hard,
irregular and hypertrophic prostate when he has started getting up twice
a night.
Jon Wilcox
Auckland