Will Pickles was a GP in Asygrarth, Wensleydale until his death in 1969 (I
think).

He laid the foundations of epidemiology in this country by studying and
reporting the spread of common infectious illnesses in a stable rural
community.

However, it must be said that while he was doing this the actual general
practice work was mostly done by a string of "assistants". the last of
whom, Dr Bernard Coltman took over the practice along with his wife Kit on
Dr Pickle's death.

Bernard retired shortly after my arrival in Wensleydale (no connection I
have been assured <g>).

There are several references (all of them long before the advent of
Medline). Most of them are listed in "Will Pickles of Wensleydale" written
by John Pemberton. My copy was published by the Readers Union.

Hope this helps.

David

> From: Sheila Teasdale <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: (Fwd) Dr. Pickle
> Date: 13 November 1996 22:37
>
> Can anyone help out Dr Mullins here?  I think it's Pickles, and have
> had a quick look at Medline, but no joy there.
>
> Thanks, folks!
>
> Sheila

The