The discussions about the cost, ISDN access etc. are all very interesting
but......

Just what is so secret that it can only be accessed by a closed group?

Everything that is likely to be published on the NHSnet is the sort of
thing that will already (or should) probably be in the public domain anyway
- either because it is expensively mirrored onto the Internet - or because
it is publicly available information.

If something is so controversial that it needs to be kept secret within the
select club, fat chance of someone not copying the info across the press
and blowing the cover.  To maintain confidentiality, you would have to
circulate the information in a different way.

So, by way of a challenge, can anyone think of anything that would be
appropriate for this limited and expensive environment, that could not
(with perhaps a little care about content) be put on any publicly
accessible pages?  Good sensible reasons only - we all know that our local
trusts don't want the "real" waiting times published - even if they could
produce them.

Bill Beeby, GP.
Middlesbrough, Cleveland.
email  [log in to unmask]