Date: Sun, 20 Oct 96 12:49:54 PDT
From: bc9801
To: Adrian Midgeley
Subject: Re: Re: anticoagulation

Second attempt at reply after first attempt disappeared into the
cosmos!

The reference goes back as far as 1984 if the grey cells serve me
correctly. The algorithm worked out daily dosages which used decimal
fractions of a mg, which obviously wasn't easy for the hard-pressed
SHO to work out . INRstar gets round this by calculating the weekly
dose and dividing it into seven doses based on the three milligram
pill, so that patients often take different doses each day. For those
who are on very small or very large doses the schedule DOES default to
the 1mg or 5mg pill.

So far it has only been writtent for Windows but several people are
looking at the idea of incorporating it into multiuser systems and
Unix would be the obvious choice.

The point about hit rate is a good one - right know te software only
examines the tests, not the days to which those tests relate. The
other point I didn't mention is that one reason we doctors are
relatively poor at managing INR is because we have this mental
autodrive which says that all patients on warfaring need to have an
INR maintained between 2 and 3, which of course is rubbish.

Robert

Robert Treharne Jones
aka 'Wizard Wheeze Computing'
8 Oxlea Road, Torquay TQ1 2HF