Julian Bradley wrote:

> In this geographical area solicitors have taken a lead in setting up a
> "medico-legal society".  I don't regularly do anything beyond basic reports
> and haven't been able to attend yet, but I think some attempt to build
> bridges, reduce acrimony and distrust, and help patients is worth supporting.

Couldn't agree with you more. Perhaps we can here at least set up an
e-mail version.

> The second point that stood out related to the law suits on pertussis.  As I
> understand the science there is really no evidence now that pertussis
> vaccine caused any brain damage.

Not so. We have the evidence and much has been published in the last two
years. Acellular is recognised as safer.A case two years ago in Ireland
found for damage (Best v Wellcome).We are workig on further cases to
bring to trial in England and Wales.

>Some people with disabled children were
> lucky enough to get money, when others with children just as disabled
> haven't.  I don't think this is anything lawyers, or the doctors who
> supported them, can be too proud of.

Vaccien Damage Tribunal payments were put initially on hold following an
extremely poor judgement by one judge in one case, but hopefully this
will be reversed.

>  The sooner we have a system of care
> for the disabled and no fault compensation that separates doctor (or
> government or pharmaceutical company) bashing from providing financial
> support for injured or diasabled people the better.

Agree, save that any no-fault system must still provide for full
accountability, unless you believe that bad doctors should be allowed to
avoid responsibility.

Drug manufacturers should pay into a compensation fund as a condition of
a product licence.

> Finally rumour has it that while doctors can be sued for what they do or do
> not do in the heat of battle - whether consultation or operation, lawyers
> and judges cannot be sued for what they do or do not do in court.  Is this
> really true - and if it is how can any lawyer or judge face any other
> professional with a clear conscience?  Surely a lawyer's clients are just as
> much worthy of protection as a doctor's patients???

Solicitors can certainly be sued for negligence just a slawyers.In fact
it is a growing area of claim. Barristesr are also now starting to be
sued, and a new ground breaking case ha sjust commenced. The lawyers who
are immune at present arejudges.That has to change. There is no reason
why we should not be entitled to expect a reasonable standard of
adjudication and in cases in which judges have clearly fallen well below
that standard they should be accountable.