> >>Ahmad Risk is presenting some very interesting thoughts which I am
> >>sure will be very practical WHEN and only when infinite bandwidth
> >>becomes infinitely cheap (or as near as necessary!)
>
> I've calmed down now...

Hmmmmm... perhaps I will then - a bit!

> The web as we know and love it does not depend on infinite bandwidth
> to the user - it relies on anything from dial-up modems at 14.4k
> upwards.

We aren't talking about the web as we know and love it. We are
talking about very fast information available to doctors very fast
when and where they want it. If you have a bunch of medical people
all accessing an internet connection whenever they want information
(and there is nothing more certain than a GPs whinge when he waits a
few seconds for something) then you are talking about big bandwidth
(at least 1 Mb/sec) available all day. No setup time would be
acceptable so an on-demand internet over ISDN wouldn't work. To my
mind, as an engineer, that is best provided by infinite bandwidth
infinitely cheap - and please note that I did say "or as near as
necessary".

> OK if you want Xrays and soundfiles delivered to your practice browser
> you'll maybe need something meatier than 28.8k PSTN - so if you want
> it them much you'll be willing to pay for the higher bandwidth.  If
> you don't want them, the hospital needn't deliver the apps that
> provide such info- just HTML textual info about the patient.
>
> This isn't some wild whacky fantasy land.  This is bog standard use of
> bog standard technologies - it so happens we're using to to (at last)
> gain access to information locked up in legacy systems.

Text access may be bog standard - but who wants to stay in the bog?
It says IM&T Consulting in your sig - come on, lead us out of the
bog!
--
John Clegg,
Nailsea, Bristol, England     [log in to unmask]  [log in to unmask]