> But please don't think Ahmad that we can do away with structured
> info. When your browser says something HTMLish which translates as
> "Get me the most recent platelet count on Alfredo Garcia" the path
> lab will have to understand what is meant by "Platelet count",
> "Alfredo Garcia", "most recent" and even "get me".

I refer you to Rob Tweed earlier post.

I won't have to say "get me AG's plats count" at all!!

Can't you see?  I am talking about interactive remote access to the
Path lab system.

If "I",  not the computer,  not the browser,  can't understand the
info in front of my "own" eyes as it was output *by* the Path Lab
system(application),  what will???

Furthermore,  *everytime* I want to see that result,  I can do so
without having to "transport" anything to my computer whether
structured or otherwise. (actually,  some of it may reside in my
cache,  but that's all).

When you look at a web page and click on a hyperlink that takes you
to another piece of information (that could be any format),  you are
not,  repeat,  not asking either computer to "understand" what E=MC2
means!!!  Even though you might be actually looking at the whole
workup of the equation.

It really is simple.

Like Rob said:  if you are in a messaging mode,  you will need edi.
If you break free from that particular mind set,  then structure and
unstructure become meaningless and a whole new world of posibilities
opens up.

Ahmad

Ahmad Risk MB BCh
Medical NetNoire