> The point is:  that those couch potatoes will have their diet
> delivered differently.

By Printing Press, not Priest ; By Radio not Paper ; By TV not
Wireless ; By "The Net" not "The Box"

*Surely* it is the message that is important, moreso than the
delivery ???

>Their influence,  if ever they had any (which
> I think that suggesting they never had any

But do they now, today ? No money, no education, no structure, no
point ?

>is patronising in the
> extreme) will be exerted differently.

> It was couch potatoes who tore down the Berlin Wall and conducted the
> Velvet Revolution.

But, was it ?  These "revolutions" surely occur amongst an aware
populace with a leader figure.  As such, they were also pawns in some
one elses game.  Perhaps willing ones, but still pawns.  The Berlin
Wall did not fall because of these people, it started to fall
because the East could not afford to keep up with the west, and
because some folk stood to gain substantially by a market economy.
They just got the proletariat to pull it down for them.. Save on
demolition costs, I suppose.

> It was couch potatoes who topples Shah Rida
> Bahlavi,  it was couch potatoes who fought the American War of
> Independence

Did they have couches in them days ??

> The point is:  the Networked Individual will bypass structured and
> institutionalised (and cliquie) access to information,  its flavour
> and eventually,  its use.

Unless the institutions can obtain control over the structure, the
access etc.  They will try to do it.  They are trying today.

> The point is:  the Plow and Factory Revolution did,  and in a major
> way,  affect the lives of millions of people.  To the better or worse
> is not the point.  The point is that it did happen.

And will do again, but only if we keep shouting. As Gerard says

Lets think loud.

The louder the better.

Paul
Dr Paul Miller