An extraordinary patient of mine has set me thinking. He is a 55year old
man who went in for elective inguinal hernia repair. At operation the
surgeon thought that the omentum just "didn't feel right" and biopsied
it. The result came back as nodular metastatic carcinoma of the
appendix- the oncologists saw and reviewed, a hopeless prognosis. The
patient was sewn up and told the bad news. No treatment offered.
This was in January 1995 and the patient has well outlived his expected
three months and remains well. Recently he had an incisional hernia
repaired by the same surgeon who found the tumour nodules to be
unchanged- having neither advanced or receeded. As he has always been
symptom free, he may have had the pathology for years before his
incidental diagnosis. Why is he alive? has his body come to live
symbiotically with the tumour?
Two more questions
1. Anyone out there have similar cases? If so should we be looking into
these patients more instead of thanking God they're still alive? What is
their secret?
2. Does anyone know of any published work on this topic?

--
Peter Glover
Chuch View Surgery