Adrian Midgely replied positively to the suggested modus operandi put
forward under the heading of 'EDIFACT versus Internet' and went on to ask:

> We would rather like to get away from the handwritten forms as well, so
> if the system could run in reverse...

Inspires me to ask about another reversal - out-patient booking. Why is
that it's always mooted as something done in direction of Practice to
Trust?  Loads of complications to this route, eg type of clinic, urgency,
Consultant preciousness, etc.  But what of the other direction?

"Here's your discharge letter, Mrs Smith, just take it to your GP. We've
made an appointment for you to see her on Thursday at 3pm, which is when
you said you'd be free".

Good old GPs don't much discrimate with requests for appointments. Take
anything that wanders in etc. So why not make a big stride for continuity
of care by offering Trusts read/write access to your appointments modules?

Alan Hyslop
Computing & IT Strategy
Management Executive
Scottish Health Service