In message <[log in to unmask]>, Dr Alan Hassey
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Ross Anderson wrote:
>
>> There really needs to be an authentication protocol in place here but
>> why should the NHS Executive bother so long as HAs get away with pushing
>> people around?
>>
>> Ross
>
>Don't forget consent!
>
>It's to do with the NHS auditors & HM Treasury. They demand
>authentication via audit trails & the right to check-up & "prove" that
>claims are not fraudulant. After all - if you've got nothing to hide -
>why should you care??? (As a HA Director said to me recently).
Is this from the patients' or the practice's point of view?
The *practice* may have "nothing to hide" in the sense that they have
not submitted fraudulent claims, but how many HA Directors would want to
risk their personal medical information being exposed to their staff?
The system of checking , by inspection of the medical records rather
than checking directly with the patient (itself fraught with
difficulty..) means that inevitably the individual doing the checking
will see medical information unrelated to the claim .. unless we change
the format of the medical record completely.. which might,in itself,
provide opportunity for fraud..
I know that HA staff have a duty of confidentiality - as does everyone
in the "NHS family"
Wasn't this where we came in? ;->>
Mary

Mary Hawking
tel:01582 601289 (home) 01582 663218 (surgery)fax:01582 476488 (surgery)