FROM:	Peter Johnson, INTERNET:[log in to unmask]
TO:	GP-UK, INTERNET:[log in to unmask]
DATE:	14/12/96 19:06

Re:	Quality??

Is this really the way to treat people who call for urgent help?
What would have happened if we had not had special knowledge, or if we'd
been meek? Where has the human, caring, understanding approach gone? Do GP's
realise how difficult it is for a parent to present a clear case history
when they've been up all night, and are convinced that their precious child
is about to expire? Especially when the GP is being hostile.

I'm still *** angry. If you can't do your job properly, you should do
something else.

I know life is tough at the moment. Trouble is, I've heard lots of similar
stories recently, and I think the public sympathy for GP's is wearing very
thin.

Pete

---
Peter Johnson
(+44) 1525 261432

It was terrible to hear about your harrowing experience.
We have had a full time partner off sick all week and another on holiday. The
tension has gradually mounted and by the end of the week I am horribly conscious
that most of the doctors and staff could as behaved as insensitively and with
such bad judgement as you describe. The problem seems to me that we literally
work to the best of our ability on a routine day. When something beyond the
routine happens we do not have the mental, emotional or organisational capacity
to respond to the crisis.
We must alter our culture and organisation in such a way that we are able to
husband our resources effectively to allow sudden demands and genuine distress -
as far as I can see this means actually working well all the time but not to the
limit of our capacity.
Has anyone solved this problem?
How can we respond to your experience constructively rather than with more
depression and loss of morale?

Sue Butler
GP and Course Organiser
Pontefract, West Yorkshire.