Just a comment on costs

> From:          [log in to unmask]
> Subject:       Re: edifact and web strategies (renamed from MSE)

SNIP

> We aren't talking about the web as we know and love it. We are
> talking about very fast information available to doctors very fast
> when and where they want it. If you have a bunch of medical people
> all accessing an internet connection whenever they want information
> (and there is nothing more certain than a GPs whinge when he waits a
> few seconds for something) then you are talking about big bandwidth
> (at least 1 Mb/sec) available all day. No setup time would be
> acceptable so an on-demand internet over ISDN wouldn't work. To my
> mind, as an engineer, that is best provided by infinite bandwidth
> infinitely cheap - and please note that I did say "or as near as
> necessary".

SUPERJanet operates at 4*34 Mbps between about 20 sites all over the
UK;  it then extends onto about a further 200 sites at speeds
ususally in the 8 Mbps range.  It is free at the point of use, and
has a total annual running cost in the order of stlg20M.  It is
reliable, and a lot (like roughly 500,000) people use it every day.
The annual budget for the sector it serves (Education & Research) is
about stlg10,000M

The annual budget for the NHS is in the order of stlg40,000M.

Mike Wells
Professor Mike Wells
Department of Physics,    The University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT,            United Kingdom
Phone: 0113-233-3879      E-Mail   [log in to unmask]