Quite a few postings are about the stresses we face and how fed we are at times.
We all get "depressed" from time to time, and I'm no exception. When really down
I reply to questions on my "sainty" by saying "it's a Black Dog day to today". I
think Winston Churchill used this expression, but I don't confess to being in
his "league".

I've been on stress management courses. And if you have then like me you've
probably found them most unhelpful. How on earth can I avoid the stresses
that aggravate me ? - on-call, paper work, gray suits, inadequate patients, etc.

Today was almost a "Black Dog" day. One partner off seeing Gerry (I understand
your problems) Malone leaving me to pick up his on-call, Links up the spout with
mismatches galore so under capitation count for the quarter end, a flood at the
surgery over the weekend, etc.

But, I've survived! How?

1) Get a dog if you haven't get one. If you have make sure you take it walkies
everday. I get real time, alone. I also have some of my best ideas when going
walkies.

2) Look at your environment. On the 2 milish hike round the fields it's amazing
what you see. As a Butterfly freak, from April onwards is great. Orange Tip
butterflies laying eggs and watching the caterpillars grow over the last six
weeks. Yesterday Cinnabar Moth caterpillars all over the Ragwort, Small
Tortoiseshell, Peacock and Red Admiral caterpillars on the Stinging Nettles.
Today Painted Lady caterpillars on the Thistle - never ever seen them before!

3) Feel good about it.

Do I live in an idyllic part of the country? No. I live in the middle of the
derelict South Yorkshire Coal Mine(less) field. The biggest development zone in
Europe? 1100 acres of spoil heap acroos the valley from my surgery window. But
there are little paradises everywhere. If you look.

Dr David J PLews
[log in to unmask] (but not for much longer - going global soon?)