>..... well received work on guidelines.
> Also does anyone now anything about SIGN

SIGN stands for the Scottish InterCollegiate Guidelines Network, and is
what it says.  Funded by Scottish Office along with a sister endeavour
for purchasers called Scottish Health Purchasing Information Centre.

SIGN has been going longest and has produced several nattily-presented
evidence-based guidelines on things like Obesity, Prevention of Visual
Impairment, Management of Acute Asthma, Prophylaxis for Venous
Thromboembolism, Helicobacter Pylori, etc.

Clever bit is having ensured College support up front, hence each
guideline development group contains relevant clinicians, even dietitian
on the Obesity group.  (BTW, controversially, this declared on the basis
of the evidence that appetite suppresants have a role, which might not
please prescribing advisors!)

Each guideline contains a recommended dataset which, if collected, will
support local audit of the guideline's efficacy.  My interest is helping
make this happen.  There's also a group trying to agree the core content
of the referral letter.

SIGN ain't got a web site yet, so contact...
Christine Pottinger
SIGN
Royal College of Physicians
9 Queen Street