Thanks for the info. - very relevant to stuff I'm helping with up North.

Seems to be a certain amount of traffic assoc. with advertising, re this
posting - as someone else has said, it all depends on what you find
relevant. And the dividing lne between telling folk about something
useful you know of, and 'advertising it' seems to be a grey one - great
shame if we grew a problem here for subscribers. As newbie subscriber,
one of GP-UKs *real strengths* is the way its members pitch in with all
sorts of 'BTW, while you're thinking of X, check out site http://.....'
-type messages. Maybe a simple declaration of any interest would suffice.

Or is all this simply not seeing the joke...? (sorry to be leaden-footed
if ans=y)

On the Needs Assessment theme, may I thoroughly recommend a (dare I say
so) Scottish Office publication 'Population Needs Assessment in Community
Care - a Handbook for Planners and Practitioners' (HMSO 1996. isbn 0 7480
3133 2) (6.5ukp)
(And yes I do have an interest, a bit-part in its QA!)

Why I think it's better than most efforts in this area?
It's multi-disc/multi-agency in coverage (Needs are no respecters of
institutional boundaries);
it decouples Needs from Responses quite well
it gives you clear messages about not putting all your eggs in any one
methodological basket - good overview of most approaches (process,
formulae, etc. )
plenty of references for further info.
handy 'Lochside' worked example for the 'what would it all be like to do,
then' questions.

There are a fair few folk using the 'Rapid Needs Assessment' approach up
here - is this all old hat South of the Border (if so, sharing of
experiences would be gratefully received)? Alternatively, I can dig out
some examples, contacts if anyone's interested.

Peter Ashe