At 09:57 +0000 on 05-12-1996, Ahmad Risk wrote:

> Alan wrote:
>
> > Ahmad wrote:
> >
> > >Call for Action:  prepare yourselves and your children for this
> > >paradigm shift,  whose very early beginnings we are witnessing now.
> >
> > Admad, I see that Sun Life are also into this prediction business,
> > though I suspect the motives are rather commercial (scare the life
> > out of people and hope they will feel more secure after buying a
> > policy!).
>
> My prediction have nothing to do with medicine,  nor scaring the shit
> out of people.
>
> My arguments were constructed on careful reading and learning of
> human history and it's monumental changes.
>
> As I said before,  there have been only 2 major paradigm shifts in
> our history,  that of The Plow and that of The Factory.
>
> Anyone denying that we are on the threashold of the third paradigm
> shift (in culture,  medicine,  society and all) is surely still in
> the age of The Factory.
>
> This third paradigm shift involves Information (see Alvin Toffler:
> "The Third Age").  We've hardly scratched the surface of that
> particular revolution.  The Web is only 3 years old,  the PC is not
> much older!
>
> There is already wholesale demise of many long held beliefs and
> lovingly preserved sacred cows.  Fine.  I am sure gas light is quite
> pretty and romantic and I have no problems with that.
>
> The point is:  my call for action is to conduct that careful and
> thoughtful reading of history.  Something that we have often
> miserably failed to do.  Nothing to do with doom and gloom and
> insurance policies (of which I have very few).  On the contrary,  it
> is about a different kind of future where the Networked Individual
> will rule supreme and cultural perceptions will transcend all
> varieties of forced,  transverse associations (Nation,  Religion,
> the AA etc.)

And to add my point...(s)

If we shift the paradigm, we better think it over, ponder about the
consequences and think about the infra-structure we need.
(Not only the bandwidth, but the social, psychological, privacy aspects)

We GP's in this place can be at a small spot of the fore-front.

Lets think loud.

Gerard Freriks,huisarts, MD
C. Sterrenburgstr 54
3151JG Hoek van Holland
the Netherlands  		Telephone: (+31) (0)174-384296/ Fax: -386249
				Mobile   : (+31) (0)6-54792800
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS