At 10:06 29/11/1996 GMT, John wrote:

>I happened to pick up Computer Weekly this morning,
>which is a trade rag for the computer industry.
>
>Page 1 has a rather startling article entitled
>"GP's network buckles under huge workload"
>It's about the strain on the Racal Healthlink network.
>
>Quote:
>
>"A National Health Service network used by four out of five GPs has buckled
>under high workloads, losing messages, delaying patients' test results and
>throwing surgeries into confusion. Many of the 7,500 GPs on the network have
>invoked paper and clerical back-up procedures in an attempt to restore
>normality and to trace messages that have not reached their destinations.
>The problems have delayed test reports, including breast screening and
>cervical smear results."
>

>There's also an editorial.
>http://www.computerweekly.co.uk/news/news.html
>(you have to register once only for this site).

I would be happy (ier) if this could happen to us! We've been disconnected
for 4 weeks now because of - anybody from MCS listening? - *alleged*
software problems. We are waiting, and waiting ... for the new version. In
the meantime registrations are backed up via the old paper system. Also,
apparently, Racal are changing over to X400 (??) so the link would have been
switched off this week anyway.

The practice has given them 'till next friday to get us back "on-line" or we
resign from links.

Dr David J Plews
email: [log in to unmask]