Me again folks!

First of all my public apologies to Lynn and James for going over the top with
the word "blatant". Some of you may know how it is when on occasion one comes
home late after a few G&T's, etc. and decide to unwind my dialing into gp-uk
before bed. Something catches the eye and you fire off a posting that worries
you until the next time you can collect the responses.

I, too, value Lynn and James input, and in fact was one of the few that
supported Lynn's posting about a limited coding structure for Co-op OOH
encounters. His idea gained little favour here with most wanting full READ
coding or nothing. I still feel this would be a total disaster given the wide
ranging computer literacy among the average Co-op's membership. Someone even
suggested downloading coded information onto Practice
computers.....Aaaagghhhh!

Within EKDOC we have taken part in a couple of studies collecting information
relating to encounters with patients suffering from Asthma and Strokes. Our
in-house customised database enabled simple Yes/No fields to be created for
each condition and the figures were easily extracted. Please note that this is
not an advertisement :-;

To be specific, what upset me was Lynn and James' postings on decision support
software. First we had Lynn stating in connection with one product "No plans
for linkage with Adastra, yet.....!" and James, admittedly initially praising
another but then casting aspersions upon it's usefulness. I actually agree
with James on this point as those whom I have spoken to, including triage
nurses, say that after a while one becomes so used to dealing with the same
sequence for the mostly trivial OOH encounters that the effective slowing of
the consultation becomes an irritation.

Regarding .sig files I still think my criticism is justified. Ewan's is far
more acceptable and IMHO appropriate. Surely a simple pointer to the excellent
Adastra web-page would be better than ....."Networks, PC support, BT Pagers,
GP Co-ops...." etc.

Well, Triims feels this thread has gone on long enough so I hope this more
sober message puts an end to what I started.

Regards

Dr Peter Wilson				Medical Manager
The Mockett's Wood Surgery		East Kent Doctors On-Call
Hopeville Avenue, St. Peter's		Tel. 01843 862179
Broadstairs, Kent, CT10 2TR		Fax. 01843 590782