In a message dated 14/11/96  00:11:12, Peter wrote:

>Our Vision network uses both solutions.  A 64kb/s line to the small
>branch surgery which uses the Reachout software for 5 PCs, and a 2Mb/s
>cable link (courtesy of the local cable contractor) to approx 20 at the
>other main site.  The Reachout solution is probably a bit quicker at
>present but we're in process of upgrading our previously installed
>network from thin ethernet to UTP5 to see if that helps.
>Reliability has been pretty good with both solutions so you pays your
>money...(as always)

Thanks for this. I'm interested to hear the Reachout solution is quicker.

In our latest discussion with our new VAMP rep the 2Mb line is being
recommended.  This seems to involve about #11.5k of bridge hardware and
discarding most of our current PCs (486's) including the couple we bought a
year ago on the advice that they would "run Vision" when we wanted!  We would
be serving seven workstations at the branch.

Who's your cable operator?  Telewest (formerly United Artists) is currently
ripping up the pavements locally and their land-line prices are much better
than BT's.  They claim to have a lot of experience in this field although
don't seem to have many such installations locally.

Their standard 'phone lines are cheaper too but currently they can't take our
existing telephone numbers and the cost of changing them & mailing our
patients accordingly is prohibitive.  I've heard they'll be able to transfer
domestic numbers from BT in a couple of months so we'll wait & see.  My local
BBS has just gone over to them and my connection speeds are consistently
better than before.

Regards

Steve