Paul Galloway writes:

> ...saw Wax demo....about 14 GP's / HA IT really excited at the thought
> of all that accessible data, waiting times, referral guides, formulary,
> local guidelines in hypertext style format with embedded graphics etc.

So Wax is neat and quick way of delivering information.  On evidence of
trials, it even passes the can-use-during-7 minute-consultation test.
Which is very probably more than can be said for Internet (dial up, worry
about security while waiting, roam about endlessly etc).  And yet good
stuff is increasingly going to appear on the web.

But how about both?  What really interests me about Iain's approach to
Wax is that it will become capable of holding Internet pages along with
local stuff. And automatically updates itself overnight whenever it
detects changes on referenced web pages.

So what's the plain-English vision for delivering useful information to
the clinical coalface?  How about...

"when a clinician has to hand a patient's record on screen, s/he should
be able to immediately access useful and up-to-date guidance information
by simply pointing at an item such as medication or patient's problem.
This action should lead to appropriate information being presented.

To illustrate, selecting 'asthma' within the patient's record results in
a display of a single list with headings such as Asthma Guidelines,
Medication, Referral, and Self-help Groups.  A further selection by
clinician results in a display of associated details, which in turn offer
the option of 'going deeper', for example into specific journal
references.  Equally, selecting Referral leads to waiting time
information and clinic contact details.  If desired, a further selection
displays a referral letter partially ready with appropriate details from
the patients record which can be then completed and electronically
transmitted subject to confidentiality safeguards."

Now I've done it.  Finally written the kind of guff that earns me a
living.  But the message is....Customers state their requirement!  Let
the tekkies provide the solution!

Comments?

Alan Hyslop
Computing & IT Strategy