> Also, re. handling mag. tapes, didn't the company who contracted to do
> this in Scotland say they had underestimated the volume of work and were
> being overwhelmed by the tapes coming in from Trusts?
> Over to our Caledonian correspondents for the story on that one please.

Caledonia calling.

Might have been true, but the point is that in a way it's not our
problem. An advantage of a PFI deal is it's up the contractor to achieve
specified work.  Whether they use one Amstrad or fifty mainframes is up
to them.  Only their performance is of interest to the customer.

Looked at from the beleagured contractor's point of view, it sounds a bit
like emergency referrals.  Acute Trusts are expected to be infinitely
elastic while GPs demand infinite capacity for the same cost.

In health care as in health care computing, customers will be happy if
contractors are happy and vice versa.  Given the money we spend and the
attitudes we adopt, perhaps we get the services we deserve.

(if this doesn't earn a storm of abuse then nothing will :-))

Caledonia signing off.  Perhaps for good.

Alan Hyslop