Alan Hyslop wrote:

> Subject:       what versus how

> Despite the job title, I confess to be really toiling to understand the
> technical issues surrounding the NHSnet, NHSweb, encryption, BT,
> firewalls, et seq ad nauseum.
>
> Anyone care to join this confession?  My mate Paul Miller, a dead techie
> GP, does.
>
> So here's my proposal: strategy and user folk stay out of the 'how' and
> concentrate on the 'what'.  Ross Anderson, even though a frighteningly
> techie-type, shows the way by expressing Principles.  Users should say in
> plain english what they want and don't want. Techies should get on with
> providing it. And users should satisfy themselves that it's been
> provided.  Safeguards and all.
>
> The alternative: techies having the right to critique medic's patient
> diagnoses and treatment.
>
> Alan Hyslop

HEAR, HEAR!!!!

And the 'Users' should make the assumtpion that ANYTHING they might
want is achievable, and then debate with the techies if/when they
(the Techies) come back and say it cannot be done.

Mike Wells

And GP
Professor Mike Wells
Department of Physics,    The University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT,            United Kingdom
Phone: 0113-233-3879      E-Mail   [log in to unmask]