In a message dated 26/09/96  05:58:55, you write:

>There are some issues for co-ops around who takes that
>continuing responsiblity that I don't think have been thought
>through for the 1990s.
>Dr. David Jobson

Further to the above, I was at a meeting of the Sheffield coop yesterday,
 prior to its launch on 1/11/96. The question of TR's and emergencies came
up. I appeared to be the only one present who was concerned about the 14 day
rule and quoted your e-mail to the meeting (i hope you don't mind!)

HAve any other co-ops had problems with foreign nationals and/or patients of
non-co-op members who have contacted the co-op?

I can envisage a situation where a disgruntled punter contacts the co-op for
a second opinion. If they are not at their homa address then there is no
problem. If they are but claim they are not registered with a GP, and that
adress is covered by a co-op GP as well as their registered GP, where does
the co-op stand??. It is not emergency treatment, they are not in the area
for less than 24 hours, it is immediate and necessary, thus they will take on
( or a colleager will take on their behalf) a fourteen day comitment for the
patient.

Any co-ops like to comment ( and copy response to Sheffield GP-cooperative
via me).

Trefor Roscoe                      Email; [log in to unmask]
Beighton Health Centre        Tel 0114 - 269 5061
Queens Road, Beighon        Fax 0114 - 269 7186
Sheffield S19 6BJ