<< start of forwarded material >>

Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 23:02:49 +0100
To: [log in to unmask]
From: Gerard Freriks <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Internet-based medical records
Bcc:
At 13:44 +0000 on 09-10-1996, Pete Mitchell wrote:

> >Strikes me, therefore, the technology is here to support this kind of
> >approach, and is in line with your overall thinking, not at odds
> >unless there's something I'm missing or you have a better underlying
> >technical approach/solution/model to suggest..... ?
> >

> The Americans have been wrestling with this problem for some time, as
> you might expect given their highly fragmented healthcare system.
> The health IT industry has set up an alliance to develop what they
> call a 'virtual master patient index' using distributed CORBA
> techniques (yes folks it's OAT - obscure acronym time).

CORBA: Common Object Request Broker Architecture

It is a piece of system level software which plays a part in futuristic
things like:
Writing a objectoriented piece of software in language a, using an other
piece written and compiled using language B, all written for operating
system XX and then using a program written for operating system YY and
running on a computer on an other continent and at the same time giving the
inpression to the user that he is using one machine/system.
It is a fantastic piece of transparant glue-software to be found underneath
OpenDoc from Apple and eventaly OLE by Microsoft.
Bye the way it is not futuristic it is real. But not so many software
applications are using it.

Perhaps my explanation is 100% correct but this is how I visualise it since
1993.

<< end of forwarded material >>

Gerard Freriks,huisarts, MD
C. Sterrenburgstr 54
3151JG Hoek van Holland
the Netherlands  (31) 174-384296/ Fax: -386249

ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS