In article <[log in to unmask]>, Rob Tweed
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>>The WEB/HTML is a technology to view information only.
>
>Not true.  Whilst it may be true that this was its original intention,
>high performance fully transactional (read + write) systems are now
>being developed using web technologies.  This is happening very
>largely because of the dominance of the technology and its cost
>effectiveness as an architecture for information system development.
>If you are going to Mednet96 in Brighton in a few weeks time, I think
>you are going to hear and see quite a lot about this.

Very interesting.  Can you enlarge on 'fully transactional (read +
write) systems'?  Are there any accessible sites running this kind of
system and what SW would one need to access them?  I find it difficult
to picture what exactly would be exchanged in this way and how it would
be treated by the receiving system.  There are all kinds of issues to
consider when 'trading' information many of which I would have thought
were independent of the technology.  EDI messaging has to do with
exchanging structured information in such a form that it can be
incorporated in the receiving system in a way that enables it to keep
its original (concept plus context) meaning.  Am I missing something
here?  How would that be achieved unless, for example, we had universal
HTML record structures?

Not in any way decrying the potential value of this kind of development
in web technology but trying to understand its potential..
--
John Williams, Senior User GP / Provider Links Project
Email: [log in to unmask]