And it can keep getting worse:

Is the extra fee to be designated as tax collection, when presumably it is
compulsory and goes back to the government?   Or is it designated as
co-payment by the patient to the professional i.e. a direct fee for service
provided?

In Ontario the Conservative government recently introduced a $2 copayment
fro every drug prescription item filled.   Result : pharmacists particularly
in competitive areas and those with many poorer or senior clients are
forgiving the charge and essentially taking a fee reduction.   If the same
thing happens in general practice you can envisage the increased volume of
recalls  you describe happening.

Bob Frankford