TR>In a message dated 15/09/96  06:02:01, David Jobson writes:

TR>>But where is your validated protocol to show that doing a PSA
TR>>on patient with outflow symptoms makes one halfpennyworth of
TR>>difference either? It's become the norm to do it, but ....

Trefor replied

TR>The protocol I use was sent to all Sheffield GP's by the urologists a
couple
TR>of years ago. They suggest PSA if symptomatic and over a certain age (sorry
TR>can't remember cut off, will get detail if you wish).  I don't know how
they
TR>came up with the ideas but could find out if you want,

A group looked at it locally and decided that there was no
good evidence that doing PSA routinely with obstructive
symptoms made any difference as we don't know how, or if, to
treat early cancerous disease. Big trials going on in USA I
gather with radical prostatectomy etc..

If you can't be sure that treating a disease earlier than it
would normally present is better than waiting till it
presents then it shouldn't be screened for, according to the
Wilson criteria.

Amazing how different areas of the same NHS keeps inventing
different wheels        :-)
Dr. David Jobson
The Surgery, Main St  Surgery   Tel +44 (0)1728   830526
Leiston               Surgery   Fax               832029
Suffolk               Home      Tel               831100
IP16  4JG             email     [log in to unmask]

 * SLMR 2.1a *