> Something very much like this was used when I was in the army (and I
> expect it still is). The medical centre was manned continuously by
> either a nurse or medical tech, and ALL out-of-hours calls were
> screened before being put through to the doctor. The duty doctor
> visited the medical centre at 1100, and telephoned at about 1700 to
> see whether he or she was required for anything.

And,  of course,  the CMTs would also screen the attenders at morning
sick parade.  I used to walk into a packed house only to find that I
only consulted a few.  Asking the MRS manager what happened,  he
would usually say words to the effect:  oh,  they were a bunch
of......!!

The only difference in a civilian setting is that nurses are not
trained the same way CMTs are.  When they do,  then it should work
like a dream.  Wish I was back at the MRS again,  life was good,  the
mess was a company of fine men(and women,  whatever next?  they could
vote,  drive cars etc.).

Al Hakim

Ahmad Risk MB BCh
business tel: +44 1737 240022 fax: +44 1737 244660
home tel: +44 1293 782255
http://www.cybermedic.org/