>Does anyone know of course or how to rejuvenate a pissed-off GP? I've tried
>drink, odd sexual habits, kicking the cat and beating my practice manageress
>but can't get no satisfaction, only a letter from the RSPCA. Help.

I hope I'm not causing an unacceptable deviation in this thread.  I've heard
(read) lots of imaginative ideas about hobbies & pastimes or academic
distractions to the miserable job of being a gp and general dogsbody.

Might I suggest that you attack head on some of the things that make being a
GP miserable, and convert you job from a piss-offing one to a
not-too-bad-really one.

1.      Out of hours commitment.
2.      Exessive paperwork, and admin.
3.      Need more money for serious retail therapy / early retirement
4.      Bickering with one's partners about the above.

Yup, I guess these [1. , 2.  & 3.]  have been covered in other GP UK
threads, but I would like to hear some resononses about how you share the
admin and other non-clinicial work about.  Some paid, some unpaid, some by
salaried assistants, some by profit-sharing partners.

examples of aforementioned bumpf:
[Health Authority liaison, GP liaison group, obstetric review committee,
quality assurance plans, industrial or local government meetings.  Contining
medical education organiser, contracts, job descriptions of employed staff.
Negotiating Contracts with purchasing authorities.  And the list goes on and
on as you're all aware. ]

We have found that there is disparity between the doctors with the amount of
time spent on administrative work.   Mainly through the willingness of the
individuals concerned to take on these duties.

The traditional approach is:

a.      The profit-sharing partners have to get on with it.  Part of the
responsibility of being an employer or business owner. Employed staff
perhaps to have some other arrangements. (not sure what). Perhaps by the
firm advice "it's in your contract mate".

b.	Management team setting tasks from an action list, and commissioning the
person to execute the task by: agreeing the task needs to be performed,
setting some guidelines for the time-frame, time allotted to the task x some
multiplier for the hourly rate.   Payment on completion of the duty or
providing a satisfactory interim report if the task turns out to be more
onerous than originally foreseen.   This could mean that lots of little
salaried tasks sprout out, causing intra- company "quangos" bleeding the
profitability of the practice.  (there should be some accountability in the
commissioning process to prevent this however).

How do **you** equitably divvy out the admin and general non clinical work?
I'd be most interested to hear any solutions.

Greetings from Gisborne NZ.

tom james